Experienced. Aggressive. Trial Lawyers.

2022 Hurricane Season Outlook by NOAA

The Atlantic hurricane season is upon us, officially starting on June 1 and lasting through November 30. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has released its official 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook. The NOAA predicts yet another above-average year for hurricanes – for the seventh year in a row.

NOAA forecasters at the organization’s Climate Prediction Center believe there is a 65% chance that we will experience a higher-than-average Atlantic hurricane season. There is a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a season that’s below average.

In regard to the number of storms, the NOAA predicts that there will be 14 to 21 named storms, which are systems with sustained winds of at least 39 miles per hour (mph). Forecasters predict that 6 to 10 of these storms will be hurricanes and 3 to 6 will be major hurricanes. The NOAA considers major hurricanes as those that are classified as category 3 or higher, with sustained winds of at least 111 mph.

The NOAA offers these predictions with 70% confidence.

Atlantic Hurricane Names for 2022

The NOAA also released a list of the tropical storm names to be used in 2022, which are based on procedures established by The World Meteorological Organization (WMO). A list of 21 male and female names is used on a six-year rotation.

In alphabetical order, the 2022 Atlantic hurricane names are:

  • Alex
  • Bonnie
  • Colin
  • Danielle
  • Earl
  • Fiona
  • Gaston
  • Hermine
  • Ian
  • Julia
  • Karl
  • Lisa
  • Martin
  • Nicole
  • Owen
  • Paula
  • Richard
  • Shary
  • Tobias
  • Virginie
  • Walter

Earlier this year, the WMO declared that Ida would be retired from the list of names used for Atlantic hurricanes. A name may be considered for retirement if the storm caused a considerable amount of death and destruction; keeping the name would be considered heartless or insensitive.

Getting Ready for the 2022 Hurricane Season

The 2022 Atlantic hurricane season doesn’t technically start until June 1, but officials were already monitoring a low-pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico on May 22. The area of low pressure ended up moving inland and did not develop into a tropical storm, although some areas of the southeastern U.S. saw heavy rain as a result. This was, apparently, just a preview of what may come over the next six months.

If you live or work in any area that is affected by hurricanes and tropical storms, you must take the proper steps to protect yourself, your home, and your family. Hurricanes do not solely affect coastal cities; areas as many as 100 miles inland could be affected. You can be prepared by monitoring the weather and heeding hurricane warnings by seeking safe shelter. You should also make sure your property is ready and that your pets are safe too! The CDC has a helpful guide you can read: Preparing for a Hurricane or Other Tropical Storm.

For more information on hurricane preparation from our firm, see the following blogs:

Our Hurricane Insurance Attorneys Are Here to Help

The aftermath of a hurricane can be overwhelming and dealing with the insurance company is yet another headache you’ll have to address. Instead of letting yourself be taken advantage of by a business that’s more interested in collecting premiums than helping after a natural disaster, talk to an attorney about your rights. You deserve to have damage covered to the full extent of your policy limits without having to worry about unreasonable delays or an outright denial without cause.

At Arnold & Itkin, we help individuals, families, and business owners after hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters deal with insurance companies so they can recover the compensation they need to rebuild. To learn more, call (888) 400-2101 or contact our hurricane insurance lawyers online.